Friday, August 04, 2006

Lock up your Apples

Two weeks ago I ran over D's Powerbook. Yes, DROVE OVER IT. His Nano was in the same bag, but somehow went unscathed, so a few days later, I “watered” it with Miracle Gro. Although I’d really like to claim these as intentional acts (and live to write about it), they were freak accidents. But I’m wondering if just maybe something was operating on a subconscious level here.

You see D works at Apple. And lately he’s been working longer hours and traveling more, right as we’re in the middle of this house buying/selling frenzy. In fact, the week we put our place on the market, he was in New York and I had to DO EVERYTHING MYSELF (read my Single Supermom rant).

Sunday he leaves for Tokyo for a week and I’m starting to hyperventilate just thinking about it. I know his job is important and I really need him to bring home the bacon (since we all know I can’t possibly be making enough as a mom and freelance writer to pay a Silicon Valley mortgage, which is now TWO MORTGAGES). But I can’t help but feel abandoned, resentful, overworked, and lonely.

He’s constantly reminding me that his work isn’t a “cake walk,” but the problem is, my working-in-an-office memories are rose colored. I reminisce about lunching with co-workers (and finishing not just my meal, but also a conversation), dressing up, and going to the bathroom by myself, not to mention being appreciated--and rewarded--for my good ideas and hard work.

So, as he asks for my wish list from Japan (yeah THAT MAKES IT ALL BETTER), I’m more grumpy than gleeful. I suggest locking up your Apples everyone, I’m on the loose.

1 comment:

Seattle Sun said...

Ooo, ask for a tiny digital camera! D. can get you one in the Akihabara (Electric Town) section of Tokyo. Now is your chance!!!