Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Baja Fresh Keeps Crazy Mom Sane

This post kicks off a Blog Mama Series on Mom Finds. We’ll be featuring our favorite things over the next week.

Anyone who knows me very well knows that Baja Fresh is a drug to me. If I'm having a blood sugar dip or am just in a foul mood, steak taquitos turns it all around. It's times like this that my loved ones wonder if I really am bipolar and if Baja is the self-medicating treatment of choice. Lately, I've had a little too much Baja and it has more to do with their awesome high chairs then with my steak habit.

Since I try to keep the house in "ready-to-show" condition these days, we eat at home as infrequently as possible. And the truth is, Baja is just the best home away from home for us. Their highchairs rock so hard, I'm considering selling my Peg Perego on eBay and buying a Rubbermaid Commercial Highchair just like theirs. Unlike those wood-boxy ones found in most restaurants (which despite matching many a restaurant décor, just SUCK), these have a matching tray and the tray slides all the way to the kid's chest, which is an important feature, I’ve come to learn.

When I fell in love with my leatherette Peg Perego, I read reviews that said that the tray didn’t slide in far enough and left a gap. I thought at the time, no big deal, why would you want to risk suffocating your kid between the tray and the chair anyway? Besides, the leather-look was soooo nice and neutral and matched my kitchen perfectly. BUT NOW, I see. If we had a tray that I could slid flush to Ry’s skin, we’d keep 99% of his food off the floor and I’d be working a whole lot less.

My own cravings aside, Ry really is great at Baja, which at this point, matters more than whether or not I like the taste of my food. Because at Baja, he’ll at least sit still and be quiet (shoveling in quesadilla and guacamole) long enough for me to eat at all. He seems to really like the food there, which makes me wonder if they’ve added some addictive ingredient or if it’s a genetic trait, or of it’s found memories of being in the womb. But all I can say, is that my great mom find of the week, no, of the year, is lunch at Baja Fresh. It’s the only thing keeping us sane.

1 comment:

Seattle Sun said...

Here here! Baja Fresh is an OASIS.

PS - I've been threatening to sell the Peg Perego Prima Pappa chair too.