Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Never Ending Hunger

This is not a philosophical post, nor is it a spiritual one.

One might think from the title that it refers to something like Jesus talking to the woman at the well about her thirst, and the Living water - OR - even the whole idea that God's word is our daily bread.

No, I'm talking about food, people, and how amazed I am at how hungry I get when my day is spent, taking care of ONE little boy. Not only do I need 3 squares a day, but often snacks too. There must be something about helping a 3 yr-old get dressed, driving on various errands, listening to his questions, requests, demands, and cries. Then there's the laundry, spending time on the phone with various vendors one needs to speak with when dealing with household issues (today is was the insurance company), and figuring out what to make for dinner and then making it. I've left out so much, and have not even included any kinds of interruptions that occur and my need to incorporate them into an already full day. I live in a beach town in Southern California, and so I see ALOT of very thin women, many of whom are moms and I don't know how they do it. If I tried to be that skinny (which would mean eating alot less than I do now) I would be the crankiest mom on the planet due to extreme hunger. Sometimes it's so bad I simply cannot focus on what is going on and I just need to stop whatever is happening at the moment and GET SOME FOOD, DANG IT! I don't think mothers of small children were designed (or destined??) to have biceps the diameter of one's wrist, or to wear sizes such as "0" or "2". (Although, if you do and all is going well for you, more power to ya). Now please excuse me while I go eat . . . . again.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Me too. Me too. Me too. Anyone who knows me very well, knows not to talk about anything of any significance before lunch.

Seattle Sun said...

14 months after giving birth I am still STARVING! At first I thought it was just from breastfeeding (which to some degree it probably was and still is) but I cannot believe how hungry I am all the time now that I'm a mom.

Anonymous said...

Here's some Psych 101 for ya: whenever I have to get after my kids for bratty behavior, I find myself stomping (at least on the inside) into the kitchen with intentions to devour an enitre pint of Ben & Jerry's or a whole pizza or WHATEVER. It's more of a feeling of entitlement than merely 'wanting' to eat...something along the lines of 'if I have to put up with this kind of environment I DESERVE an edible treat!'

I was thinner and far more logical before I became a mom. Oh well. Where the heck are those Oreos anyway?!!