Tuesday, August 29, 2006

“Back to School with Starbucks”


Aaah! The frenzy of back to school preparation! I LOVE it! Okay, not really, but I keep thinking that if I say it enough times I’ll actually believe it one day. The summer always seems too short and I’m always left thinking what did we actually do?? The answer - a week here, a couple of long weekends there and a barrage of weeklong summer camps in between. As a mom of two, “Back to School” time comes with a little bit of relief that we made it through the summer in one piece and that the school year routine is right around the corner. On the other hand, it also brings a whole new set of anxiety and its own little mysteries. But I’ve come to the realization that caffeine is what has made it bearable this year. Yes, I admit to my addiction.

When it comes to school shopping, when is early enough?? I thought I’d be ahead of the game and shop for school supplies early and buy school uniforms before all the super eager incoming Kindergarten parents. The first week in August seemed to be a great time to start. I started the morning with my usual cinnamon latte from my neighborhood Starbucks. I head to Target to purchase the downloaded list of second grade school supplies. We arm wrestle a small child for the last Bat Man lunch box with thermos, whew! One hurdle passed – 21 more items to go. I get most things except the 3 Pee Chee folders. They still make peechee folders?? Is it me or are they everywhere when you don’t need one. Four stores and 2 mochas later, I decide plain folders will have to do.

I get to MerriMart, the uniform mecca of San Jose, and find that they are already out of polo shirts with the school logo. Rats! I have to special order them – wait 3 weeks! “You’re lucky you’re ‘early’,” says the chipper clerk. I think to myself gloomily, if I was really early then I wouldn’t be “special ordering” now would I? Back to have a double cappuccino.

Iced Chai in hand, I head off the following week to buy soccer cleats for the season’s first practice – didn’t we just buy a pair? Geez, when do their feet stop growing? You don’t have size 3 you say? – well, I bet they run small, let’s go with 3 ½. Two pairs of socks is not a bad thing. On the other hand, the Cub Scouts store actually had a shirt that fit – hoorah! My luck is turning – let’s have a caramel frappuccino to celebrate!

Can't wait for school to start! I need a vacation!

No comments: