Monday, August 07, 2006

"My Monastery is a Minivan"


Okay this is going to sound very weird...BUT I LOVE my car! Well maybe not the car itself, but the idea of it. My car at first glance is absolutely disgusting. I don't park it in a garage, so it constantly has that layer of grime and tree sap, sometime kitty paw prints adorn the hood. The inside is constantly strewn with sippy cups, crushed gold fish crackers, soccer cleats, pre-school books, old coffee cups and something that fell from my make up bag. My husband, John, is always amazed by the "treasures" he finds in my RX300.

I admit its a bit embarrasing at times, expecially when co-workers, non mothers or just anyone any penchant for cleanliness gets in my car - but to me it just sings motherhood! I picked up My monastery is a Minivan, by Denise Roy. It has saved my life a few times. When things get tough or just crazier than usual, I think of her short stories about her life with her minivan and her 4 children - that just seem to put things in perspective for me, since I struggle everyday with only 2!

My SUV has become one of the best places I connect with my children and husband. In the confines of my little car, we talk about what they did that day. I find out who they played with on the playground and find out about what they are looking forward to about the next day -- all the things that matter to them in their world at that moment. When we take long road trips, my husband and I always spend time talking about the future and reflecting on what crises we've mastered in the last few months - like potty training! yee haw! Who has time for that kind of conversation on a daily basis - before or after the kids take a bath?

I've come to terms with the fact that my car is the place where I can count on getting at least 15 minutes of peace between the time I drop off the kids and head into work. My car gives me the luxury of a little time to get myself together and think about things that matter- like making sure I don't have breakfast stuck between my teeth. Maybe even put on lipstick! Ah! ain't life grand!

BTW - I am wishing for a new car. I'm looking at a 2003 Eurovan. Anyone have one???

4 comments:

Andrew McAllister said...

Everyone needs a little personal space, and grabbing a little while driving isn't a bad idea. Good for you!

To Love, Honor and Dismay

Kim said...

Right now my car is host to all the things that we don't want in the house (because you never know when a potential buyer might stoy by). It's a complete pigsty, but has become our new "home" becuase really, who can feel at home in a spotless house?

Seattle Sun said...

I must confess that in the past I judged mom's who had dirty cars, but NOW I UNDERSTAND! In return for my snooty ignorance my car will never be clean again. And compared to all the other things going on in my life these days, I don't care one bit about having a pristine car.

Anonymous said...

I used to get into cars of parents with small children and find myself thinking "Hmmm...I really wonder how THAT got in here" when a Lego or a single sock or a tube of toothpaste would roll out from under a seat.

Now I know. Ohhhhh, do I know.