Sunday, August 13, 2006

Parents Night Out


I meant to post on Saturday, but I forgot in utter excitement of Parents Night Out! This Saturday, we and 6 other couples, went child free to dinner. After dropping off the 9 children with my father and his 11 year old “head assistant” (who are saints for taking them all on) and 2 large pizzas, brownies and Capri suns, we headed out for a fine Italian meal.

I have to say it was awesome to have “adult conversation”. I had almost forgotten what those are like. Yes, we did dip into conversations about our children’s bowel movements, favorite princess costumes and their ability to be obsessed with dinosaurs, trains and goldfish crackers all at the same time. But it was a little slice of heaven. For the longest time – an exciting Friday night was picking out a new DVD! The fun never stops at our house.

We ventured to a trendy bar after dinner. It was something out of my world. Certainly pre-children I would’ve have been ready to a have shot of good tequila or a dreamy martini. But this evening, I was content holding my husband’s hand and not worried about whether one of my children was trying to dive head first into a fountain. (which happened last week) It was fun to reminisce about what we were like pre-kids and fantasize about life after the pre-school years. I’m hoping a “monthly date night” becomes a reality. Though I have to say, sometimes a night playing Monopoly Junior with the kids and going to bed by 10 p.m. is tough to beat!

This luxury – Parents Night Out – is one I HIGHLY recommend. Putting on makeup and thinking about putting on a fun sun dress as opposed to work wear or something that hides kids finger prints was exciting! Definitely some kinda statement on where I am today. We rarely higher sitters – but wow, it such a reminder that we really need one more often!

BTW- Dad did fine with all the kids. Almost all were asleep in the living room when we got home and my father wasn’t tied up with a gag in his mouth:) whew – he may actually volunteer again.

No comments: