Monday, July 10, 2006

Single Supermom this week

D left for New York early this morning. This afternoon, I spent five hours in the car traveling to see a cash-only doctor (well...he wrote this book). In between, we made an offer on that house and decided to put our place on the market. So, while Baby Einstein is lulling my kid slowing into a vegetable, I’m talking to the mortgage broker, the real estate agent, the inspections people, and popping herbal Xanax (courtesy of my acupuncturist) while I stress about what needs to be moved, dusted, or trashed before getting this place on the market. Lucky for D, it’ll all be done when he gets back. How nice.

To get through the week, I’m going to have to rely on the very part-time (yet fabulous) nanny, my robust twenty-something nephews, my new real estate agent, and my good neighbor to help me get through one of the most stressful times of my life. Of course D is only a phone call away, albeit in between business meetings and dinners with old friends. I don’t begrudge him (because he didn’t plan this deliberately, and there’s not much you can do when work sends you on a last-minute trip, and truthfully, he’d probably rather be here manning the show), although it’s hard not to feel just a little abandoned when your dearly beloved is on the opposite coast and these major life changes are happening just as Jr. starts climbing out of the excersaucer. So this week, I think I’ll be getting a small dose of what it might be like to be a single mom. IT WOULD TOTALLY SUCK. But, I’m thankful for my little “village” and next time I meet a single mom, I’ll try to do everything I can to be invited into hers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sooooooo been there. Hang on Super Mom and use that little village to it's fullest!!

Multicultural Arts Leadership Initiative said...

Whew! Just went through that all...I can definitely relate. Congrats on making the offer:) It will be great. Let me know if you want to drop off your cute babe at our house for a while.

Anonymous said...

You are such a badass.
I cannot believe how much you got done this week. :)