Saturday, July 29, 2006

Newbie Blogger Attends Blogging Conference


I just got back from the Blog Her conference. The biggest thing I learned is that in person impressions can be very different than online impressions. Before today I never really wanted to spend much time on Heather Armstrong's blog despite people telling me that it was one of the best mom blogs out there. But hearing her on a panel, I had a deeper appreciation for her and the writing she's doing. I think I needed that live, personal connection to fully appreciate her authenticity. I've been won over and will be a dedicated fan from now on.

Arianna Huffington was on the closing panel. All of the panelists, including Arianna, were making the obligatory interesting, profound, world-changing comments, yet the thing that stuck with me the most was Arianna's jest that she wanted to create a "sleep movement." She pointed out how we try to do everything, sacrificing our sleep to do so, which leads to moodiness, obesity, and a whole host of other health problems. Amen Arianna. Where do I sign up?

There’s much more to say about the conference, like the very moving Motherhood Manifesto documentary by MomsRising.org I had the privilege to screen, the synchronistic meeting of a woman named Dee, the fun people from Catster, Yahootinis, and the heated debate around "mommy bloggers." But for now I need to get thee to sleep. Tomorrow is Ry’s first b-day bash. Let’s just hope it’s not 100 degrees.

1 comment:

Seattle Sun said...

Can't wait to see the Motherhood Manifesto documentary... I'm jealous!