Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Kitchen Bitch or Sexpot?

I’m sorry it’s been so long since I’ve blogged, it’s not that I haven’t had anything to say, it’s just that it’s hard to sit at the computer when you’re still looking for basics, like toothpaste and clean underwear. Not only is moving a bitch, but also it’s also turning me into one. I told D just the other night that stay-home moms should be called “house bitches” because that’s exactly how I feel—bitchy. Now everyone throw your flipping appalled comments my way. And if you want to get really fired up, read Details Magazine's, Sexpots in the Kitchen, which I came across today in the chiropractor's office with the following tagline on the cover: "Why women should stay in the Kitchen."

Anyway, moving on to something more reverent:

In the spirit of CrissCreek’s recent post Toy’s Aren’t Us, Po Bronson’s essay in Time, on Baby Einstein v. Barbie was rather enlightening to me on what most of America is like outside of my life in Silicon Valley. I like his term, “Supermom lit” and the fact that he’s calling it out. I’m realizing what a sucker I am for the next hot title marketed especially to me—a generation-X-yuppie-mom who “consults,” paid way to much for a fixer-upper in San Jose, and owns every Baby Einstein DVD (it was a gift, though).

Speaking of my house… I’ve been over to the condo a couple times this week and I find myself missing it. It was so much easier to clean, it was warmer, cozier, and we made a ton of memories there. Would I be the craziest person in the world to move back??? Maybe I need to have a detachment ceremony so that the universe will send someone new to love it. If you have any suggestions on that front let me know. One cool thing that happened is that I pitched “our story” to Mercury News Reporter Sue McAllister and she posted it on her real estate blog. Gotta love blogs.

4 comments:

Multicultural Arts Leadership Initiative said...

LOVED the article, thanks for posting.
When can we come over and check out the digs? Noe need to clean for us-really! Maybe we can help with the unpacking if you like:)
I love the Real Estate blog! You are so great.

Seattle Sun said...

Four quick comments:

1 - I recently told my dear husband that I'm not his house bitch now that I've transitioned to a more part-time work schedule. He he he.

2 - The Details mag story made me feel like throwing up! Argh.

3 - I don't really like Baby Einstein OR Barbie! I wonder where that leaves me? Actually JMUM's head to the hills plan sounds pretty great to me...

4 - Moving is SO tough. Go easy on yourself b/c you've been through a wild ride. The good news is that your new place is GREAT (I finally peeked at the paint photos - it looks SO good!)

Cie Cheesemeister said...

These fools can dream on. Domestic goddess, my @$$!! If I still had a significant other, he could eat what I slapped on the table in front of him with a surly attitude and like it! >;-)

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm a kitchen bitch in that I don't always have dinner on the table for my husband. I'm just not like his mom, and never intended to be a housewife, even though I married and had kids. I don't have my full time career anymore due to some health problems but I still don't like to cook dinner for my husband.