Monday, September 25, 2006

For the love of Money and Star Wars...


We have been working on teaching my kids the value of money; pretty hard sometimes in this day and age. Often times, when we are talking about something that the kids want – like McDonald’s or a new toy, the kids beg and plea. My typical response has been, “We can’t, we don’t have any money for that.” The smarties that they are, they’ve come up with a new response, “Yes, we we have money mama – we can use the credit card.” Aah!, if it were just that easy. I’d use that logic every time I cruise by a shoe store!

Regardless, we have instituted many measures to address money – allowances, piggy banks, paid chores…with more regularity and as the kids grow older I am hoping these will work to show my kids there is no limitless credit card at our household.

This weekend, my son, showed J and I, that we have made some strides. My son LOVES anything Star Wars, Legos and video games. This week the Star Wars 2 Legos video game came out. Last year for his birthday we bought him Version One. I used to think he was too little for games, so thought the Legos version would be a good compromise from the ones geared towards teens and adults. I had no idea how much he and J would love them. (Yes, I was SO naïve.) Actually, I am not sure who enjoyed the game more, J or my son.

Anyway, so C saw the ‘Coming soon” ad and of course, anxiously awaited the date. The moment it came out, J and C, looked on line to find the best deal. They found it at Target. C immediately went to his piggy bank and counted out the $30.00 he would need to bring Darth Vader home. It was mostly quarters, so they neatly put it all in plastic baggies. So all week, C looked forward to Friday – the BIG day! (I didn’t make the trek, but J relayed this experience – like the proud daddy that he was.)

They get to Target, they head to the video games section and find that it is one of the few remaining – whew! The store is about to close, so they hurry to the register. The cashier was a young man, who must have remembered his first time buying a game or a toy, so he kindly referred to C as “sir” and treated him with the respect any “official paying customer” should expect. C, of course, did not know whom the cashier was referring to when was called, “sir”. The cashier told him the amount due and took his baggie of quarters and said, “Thank you Sir, hope you enjoy your purchase and have a good evening.” C, sheepishly said, “Thank you and I will!” C and J ran home and immediately loaded it on the computer. Haven’t seen them for hours!

C’s piggy bank is a whole lot lighter. He has already asked about what chores he can do to earn more money. But he gets that you have to earn it or at least save money to get what you want – score one for mom and dad!

On another note:
I also thank the universe for the cashier, who was kind and respectful to my child! This was one of those moments he’ll always remember. Target probably has earned a lifelong loyal customer in C.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet!
What a darling that cashier was.
Your son will likely remember that interaction for the rest of his life.

Anonymous said...

Also...kudos to you as parents for teaching your kids the value of money, something that is sorely lacking nowadays.

blueyedtracy said...

Yes, that Star Wars Lego video game is a favorite in our house too, and we don't even own it!! My son saw the ad the other day and now knows the other one is out there. Thanks for sharing - I need to start some kind of money awareness/saving thing around here.