Sunday, July 01, 2007

Remodeling Mom?

A while back I was having a phone conversation with an old friend. We were lamenting about our new lives in motherhood—she working outside the home, me working in the home. Our sons are six weeks apart in age and hers turned two a week and a half ago. In that time she’s taken maternity leave, gone back to work full-time, gone down to work part-time and now back to work full-time. Like all of us, she’s trying to figure out the life-work-mothering balance.

We were onto our familiar topic of “how to manage it all” and “what is the ideal situation anyway?” She commented that she wanted some perspective from stay-home moms but didn’t know that many. And that I really didn’t count because I was a Remodeling Mom. We had this conversation nearly two months ago, and those words keep haunting me. What does that mean, Remodeling Mom?

I mean yes, life has been pretty crazy coping through a kitchen-living-laundry-bathroom remodel with a toddler. To avoid living in the construction zone, we stayed at a friend’s place for a month (while she biked across Europe), went camping in Idaho for 10 days (well, it’s better than the backyard), and are now are living in 700 square feet of our 1400 square foot house. My day usually involves going to some home supply store, meeting with the designer or contractor, or scouring the Internet for a light fixture. If I’m not working on the house project, my time is spent coping with our situation--making pasta on the camp stove, doing dishes in the bathroom, begging a friend to let me use their laundry facilities, or driving around the block 25 times for naptime since it’s too noisy to be in our house.

I pretty much drag my near two-year-old with me everywhere on my daily agenda. It doesn’t mean we don’t go to the park or the pool, try out the finger paints in the backyard, or build trains together, but he does watch quite a bit of Curious George whenever I need a quiet, un-interrupted minute or two to make a phone call or heaven forbid, blow dry my hair.

Despite the financial, emotional, and physical challenges of going through a remodel, I do think it’s serving an interesting purpose for my psyche. It’s replacing the mental stimulation of working and even to a certain extent the social aspect of the office. Granted I’m limited to the wacky world of contracting—a culture that is not without it’s own level of gossip and politics. But the bottom line is, I’m pretty much the CEO of my project, interesting people come in and out, and that keeps me busy and engaged. I hope that’s what my friend means, by me being a Remodeling Mom.

My dark side tells me that what it could mean is that I’m not an active member of Las Madres, don’t have organized play dates to the zoo, am not baking gluten-free, sugar free cookies, nor am up to date on the latest parenting philosophies or pedatric alternative healthcare buzz. Not to mention his birthday is coming up in less than a month and nothing has been planned. If my kid turns out to be some weirdo, we’ll blame the Remodel of 2007. But that’s just the dark side talking…or is it?

This was cross posted to the Silicon Valley Moms Blog.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is just the dark side talking.

I am frequently told how nice both my boys are and I'm not bragging when I say they are well-adjusted...and they lived through two FULL years of remodeling! (And, Z sat in front of the tv for months on end when I was sick in bed and preggers!!) Kids are enormously resilient and being a mom is about loving them, not living up to any mom trend of the moment!

Sorry for the rant...you know how I am about this topic! But seriously, R has more going for him than most kids... two parents who love him and each other, food and shelter (stop snickering) and all manner of other perks that a zillion kids in American don't have, let alone the rest of the world!

Ignore the dark side and carry on remodeling mom! You're making a wonderful home for your family!

Kim said...

thank you for the encouragement and yes...your boys do seem well adjusted:)

Seattle Sun said...

As the friend who made the comment (not to out myself or anything) I can confirm that I meant that you live life more like a mom who works (at least part-time) outside of the home. And I don't think that is a bad thing! It just means you have a lot to juggle and manage and I believe it is good for your son to see you do that and do it well. I believe like June says -- most of all, kids need parents who love them much more than they need homemade cookies or up-do-date buzz. Squash the dark side and feel proud of yourself for remodeling AND being a good mom!

Multicultural Arts Leadership Initiative said...

Aah yes, I keep thinking about how we need to remodel and am scared to even go there! So I aspire to be you, remodeling mom! Right now, I am summer camp chauffeur mom... and the I wsh I could squeeze in some work at starbucks mom... ugh!