Sunday, June 03, 2007

Going on a Book Hunt!

1180617316584

I read books occassionally to my daughter's pre-school class. Kiley and I head to our neighborhood public library and try to find books that are not part of the classroom. We love to choose the books together - we'd be there for days if she let me.

This is the list from Friday's visit. I am partial to stories that are untraditional, from kids of other cultures and ones featuring girl-power. I ran short on time, so these books are from our home library. Some were bigger hits than others for the 4 year old set - and yes, I read them ALL in one sitting. And yes, I needed a venti-sized iced-tea afterward.

Smelly Socks, by Robert Munsch
(One of Kiley's all-time favorites, amybe because she loves knee-high socks.)

Ten Timid Ghosts by Jennifer O'Connell

Wash Your Hands by Tony Ross
(good for explaing about germs)

If You're Happy and You Know it by Jane Cabrera
(great for sing-a-longs and Beautifully illustrated)

Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell
(funny! and about being proud when you are tiny)

The Recess Queen by Alexis O'Neil
(Focused on bullying and beautiful illustrations. The kids loved it and we talked about good and bad behavior on the play ground.)

We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Micheal Rosen and Helen Oxenbury
(By far the class favorite! A classic, the boys especially LOVED it! It is a great repeater story and perfect for having kids participate.)

61sa1m64fml_ss400_

No comments: